Monday, April 20, 2015

National Infertility Awareness Week

This week is National Infertility Awareness Week. To be honest, I didn't even know this existed, but am so happy that it does. I hope that it creates awareness about infertility and brings hope to those who are going through it. 

The NIAW 2015 theme is "You are not alone". What a great theme! I know I have definitely felt alone going through this process, but have found hope and support in reading others' blogs. I am a pretty private person and really didn't even start talking to my closest friends about our infertility journey until recently. A couple of them knew we were TTC and from time to time I heard the dreaded, "oh, just stop trying and it will happen" or "get drunk or plan a vacation and you'll get pregnant, that's what happened to my sister". Ugh. Those phrases are enough to drive you crazy! I think once we started moving in to IVF our closest friends realized it was a more serious matter and have now backed off of saying things like this. I know they still do not fully understand what my husband and I are going through, but I do appreciate their support. 

I have also noticed that the more I open up about infertility, the more I meet people who have or are experiencing their own journey. I learned that a girl I speak with on a regular basis is actually a patient at the same fertility clinic as me. We compare stories and share frustrations with each other. Trust me, I do not wish infertility upon anyone and hate that others have to experience it, but learning about others' journeys helps me realize I am not alone. Infertility can be really isolating, but I have found it really does help to open up about it. I'm not the best writer in the world, and even if no one else is reading this, writing this blog helps me through this crazy journey too. 

One of my favorite bible verses is Phillippians 4:6--Don't worry about anything, instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 
This verse helps me to remember that I can't be consumed with focusing on what I do not have yet. Instead, I will remember to be grateful for all of the blessings that I do have. 



No comments:

Post a Comment